What should I remember when cooking with fats?

You should remember two things when you cook with fats. First, prepare foods with unsaturated fats whenever possible. These include monounsaturated fats such as olive oil and canola oil, as well as polyunsaturated fats such as corn oil and safflower oil. Using these fats when you cook instead of saturated fats such as butter can help to lower cholesterol levels.

The second thing to remember is that moderation is key when consuming any form of fat. All fat has 9 calories per gram. That's twice as many calories as in carbohydrates and protein. Eating too much fat of any kind can cause weight gain.

Continue Learning about Fats

Why Too Much Bad Fat Makes You Fatter
Why Too Much Bad Fat Makes You Fatter
In 2013 when the world’s tallest horse, a 20-hand, two-and-three-quarter inches tall (that’s 6′ 11″) Belgian gelding named Big Jake weighed in at 2,60...
Is brominated vegetable oil (BVO) bad for my health?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) has been “called out” as an ingredient in a flame retardant after a y...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
Swap Regular Vegetable Oil for Canola Oil