What are the benefits of dietary fat?

Manuel Villacorta
Fat is an important and necessary part of our diets; we cannot survive without it. Some of the health benefits of fat include: energy storage, breakdown of fat-soluble vitamins and phytonutrients, and hormone synthesis. However, certain fats are more beneficial than others; not all fats were created equal. "Bad" fats include trans fat (which comes from partially hydrogenated oils). They are dubbed bad fats because they are known to contribute to cardiovascular disease. This is why it is very important to reduce your consumption of these fats and instead focus on monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, including omega-3s and omega-6s. These fats are anti-inflammatory and prevent chronic diseases, and they have been proven to be beneficial for your body. If there is one fat I recommend avoiding as much as possible, it's hydrogenated fats. They have no value and do demonstrable harm.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...
Your body needs fat. And research suggests there's no health or fitness benefit to restricting your fat intake to less than 15 percent of your daily calories.

In addition, fats provide essential fatty acids and vitamins. So aim to get 25 to 35 percent of your calories from fats -- preferably the heart-healthy unsaturated fats that come from fish, olive oil, nuts, and avocados.
Janis Jibrin, MS, RD
Including a little bit of fat in your meals and snacks will help you feel satisfied, and it will do so on two levels: in your mouth and in your stomach. Fat makes things taste good; using fat wisely can transform boring but healthful foods into dishes you actually crave. You might dutifully chomp through five cups of raw spinach, but you'd actually look forward to that spinach sautéed in olive oil with a little garlic and pine nuts. Fat also slows the rate at which your stomach empties, keeping you feeling full longer.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Fats

How do we get fatty acids from the foods we eat?
As we digest our food, the body breaks down the fat we eat into fatty acids that can be absorbed...
Why should I eat healthy fat at the beginning of a meal?
Having healthy fat first in a meal will slow emptying of the stomach. To get this effect, you ne...
How do we burn fat?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Under the Law of Conservation of Mass, matter is not created or destroyed, but may change its form t...
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?