Why does dietary fat cause weight gain?

Judy Caplan
Dietary fat does not necessarily cause weight gain. The amount of fat and the type of fat will determine if you gain weight as will your total daily calorie intake. We need healthy fats to maintain a healthy heart, for optimal brain function, and for satiety. Healthy fat in limited amounts actually helps you lose weight in conjunction with an overall calorie controlled diet.
Jessica Crandall
Fat yields the most calories per gram at 9 calories, more so than any other macronutrient (such as carbohydrates and proteins which yield 4). Fat typically is included in most food choices, so it becomes really easy to over eat fat. Extra fat that is not needed for the body to function is then stored in the body leading to weight gain.
Jim White

It is important to include fat in the diet, however people eating a lot of high fat foods will gain weight. When looking at total consumption for the day, generally keeping fat intake to 30% will be a good balance for weight maintenance. When trying to lose weight staying between 20% & 25% fat intake will help keep the calories down. 

It is also important to choose most of your fats from the mono & poly-unsaturated fats. These "healthy fats" are the plant based fats, such as nuts, olive oil, avocado, peanut butter, etc. Saturated fats should be limited, these "unhealthy fats" are the animal-based fats that are found in meats, butter, cheese, & dairy that is not fat-free. Transfat should be avoided entirely.

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Eating Healthy Fats and Fiber Can Cut How Much You Eat
Is Diet or Exercise More Important for Weight Loss?
How Can I Get My Digestion Back on Track?
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?