Should I avoid fat in my diet?

Of all the parts of the average diet that we’ve been told to avoid, it’s fats that have gotten beaten up the most. The very word seems to be an indictment of the substance: We don’t want to be fat, so why in the world should we eat fat? But fats are by no means universally bad.  Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are actually recommended for good health.

Monounsaturated fats -- canola oil and olive oil -- have been found to lower LDL  cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and raise HDL cholesterol (the good kind), thus reducing the risks of atherosclerosis and heart disease. Polyunsaturated fats like omega-3s lower LDL as well as reducing the risk of inflammation, heart disease and many other diseases. And omega-3s are also terrific for brain health.

Picture of food fats

Fat is an important dietary nutrient. Our bodies need fat for vitamin absorption, healthy nerve development, hormonal balance, and sustained energy. Trans-fatty acids, however, are not healthy for us, and we should avoid them when possible. You can tell if a food has trans-fatty acids by looking at the ingredient list for "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" fats.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Former San Diego Charger’s lineman Nick Hardwick retired from the National Football League and from his daily 5,000-plus calorie diet that included sa...
Why should I avoid a high-fat diet?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Just as too little fat is no good, neither is too much. Very high-fat diets, where more than 45 perc...
Why does dietary fat cause weight gain?
Michaela BallmannMichaela Ballmann
The main reason that dietary fat may promote weight gain is because it is more Calorically-dense tha...
Eating Healthy Fats and Fiber Can Cut How Much You Eat