Why should I avoid a high-fat diet?

Janis Jibrin, MS, RD
Just as too little fat is no good, neither is too much. Very high-fat diets, where more than 45 percent of the calories consumed are from fat, can be dangerous to your waistline. At 9 calories per gram, fat has more than double the 4 calories per gram of protein and carbohydrates. Translated to real food, that's why 14 grams of olive oil (1 tablespoon) has 120 calories while 14 grams of sugar (a heaping tablespoon) has 54 calories, and 14 grams of cooked rice (a heaping tablespoon) has just 18 calories. You can see why it's so easy to quickly run up a big calorie tab when you eat foods high in fat. That's one of the reasons we'll be asking you to completely avoid fried foods; if you've been eating them, this change alone will help you drop some weight.

The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Former San Diego Charger’s lineman Nick Hardwick retired from the National Football League and from his daily 5,000-plus calorie diet that included sa...
How can I reduce the fat in my diet?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Here are some easy ways to reduce fat in your diet:Stay away from foods high in saturated fats (no m...
How does fat affect your appetite?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
Fat is critical for human health and it provides satiation which means it diminishes your appetite. ...
What Should I Know Before I Get Vanquish Fat Reduction Treatments?