Are there good fats that I should add to my weight loss diet?

Doreen Rodo
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Some healthy fats are: Canola, olive, safflower, sunflower and peanut oil.  Nuts, avocado, and olives also have healthy oils. 

Watch your portion sizes, particularly with the nuts and the oils. Whenever possible, use the healthy oils in salad dressings, baking and cooking.

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There are good fats (unsaturated fats) that are extremely important in keeping you healthy. Monounsaturated fat is good fat. It comes from oils that are liquid at room temperature, or better still, plant foods (avocados, nuts, peanut oil, canola oil, tahini, olives). Research suggests that these fats may actually reduce your LDL (“bad”) cholesterol level without lowering the HDL (“good”) cholesterol, helping to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.

Healthy polyunsaturated fats are the omega-3 fatty acids that are found in fatty fish (anchovy, mackerel, salmon, sardines, shad, and tuna), flaxseed, and nuts. Studies show that omega-3 fats reduce the risk of blood clots and abnormal heart rhythms and improve blood cholesterol and triglycerides. Another type of omega-3 fatty acid is alpha-linolenic acid, which is found in flaxseeds, canola oil, soybean oil, walnuts, and dark green leafy vegetables.Polyunsaturated fat is another fat to include in your diet. This good fat comes from oils that are liquid or soft at room temperature, including corn, safflower, sesame, soybean, and sunflower oils. Polyunsaturated fat lowers LDL or “bad” cholesterol and may help prevent heart disease.

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Healthy fats to include in your weight loss diet are mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids. It is essential to have some fat in your diet to maintain health and necessary body functions.

Approximately 30 percent of your total calorie intake is recommended to be from healthy fats. Fat provides a feeling of fullness and will help to prevent more frequent or excessive eating. Mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids are liquid at room temperature and include vegetables oils, as well as nuts, and avocados to name a few.

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Former San Diego Charger’s lineman Nick Hardwick retired from the National Football League and from his daily 5,000-plus calorie diet that included sa...
Will I lose weight if I eat low-fat foods?
Eastside Medical CenterEastside Medical Center
A high fat diet can lead to weight gain but it takes more than just eating low fat foods to lose wei...
What type of fat can I eat if I want to lose weight?
Fat does have 9 calories per gram, compared to 4 calories per gram of protein or carbohydrates. ...
What Kind of Results Can I Expect from Vanquish Fat Reduction Treatments?