What is the history of fasting?

The earliest instances of fasting dates back to ancient times, when people fasted under the belief that it cleansed their spirits. Since then, religion, spirituality, weight loss, detoxification, medical testing, and surgery have all become reasons that people fast. In some religions and spiritualities, fasting is still a way to cleanse and purify the body and soul, and is considered a sacrifice. Fasting can also be used to lose weight in cases of morbid obesity. Some individuals use fasting as a means to detoxify their body. Other times, medical testing or surgery may be cause for fasting.

Continue Learning about Fasting

Should I talk to my doctor about fasting?
Before you begin any fasting regimen for weight loss, you should speak with your doctor. Fasting is ...
How do I manage my fasting on a daily basis?
Any kind of fasting regimen should be monitored by a doctor since serious complications can arise. W...
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
Is intermittent fasting right for you?
What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?