What are some health risks of detox diets and fasts?

Eva B. Cwynar, MD
Many people believe that fasting is the best way to detox the body. However, studies have shown that fasting depletes the body of essential nutrients and can have many adverse health effects, including decreased energy production. Other studies have shown that efficient functioning of the liver's detoxification system requires adequate protein. Also, it appears that high carbohydrate intake reduces the ability of certain detoxification enzymes to work effectively.
The Fatigue Solution: Increase Your Energy in Eight Easy Steps

Every day, all over the world, millions of women are grappling with many of the same mind and body issues: low sex drive, weight gain, sexual dissatisfaction, chronic stress, anxiety,...
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
You may lose weight sipping lemon water with cayenne pepper for days, but radical fasting detoxes and master cleanses such as these, especially when done for rapid weight loss, can challenge the body much more than your current daily routine. They can deny your body of nutrients it needs, downshift your metabolism, and leave you more sensitive to foods, beverages, and your normal daily chaos when you return to your precleanse eating habits. Not to mention they are a metabolic recipe for energy loss. During a fast the body slows its systems and workload to compensate for a perceived lack of nutrients. To this end, if your cleanse doesn't supply sufficient nutrients (the range of nutrients -- carbs, proteins, healthy fats) it's likely that the body may alter its metabolic functions in a way that prevents sustainable results and may compromise short-term energy and immune function. Not a good thing for your health or your energy.

Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

Continue Learning about Fasting

How is detoxification related to fasting?
Some individuals use fasting as a means of detoxification, although this practice is still under scr...
Does fasting affect children differently than adults?
Usually, fasting is not recommended for children. Children are more vulnerable when fasting beca...
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
Is intermittent fasting right for you?
Why Should I Listen to My Body When Doing Intermittent Fasting (IF)?