Should I talk to my doctor about fasting?

Before you begin any fasting regimen for weight loss, you should speak with your doctor. Fasting is not usually a recommended treatment for weight loss, since it can create problems like decreased sodium, potassium, and calcium levels as well as hypoglycemia. Additionally, if you have diabetes, fasting may be very detrimental to your blood sugars. The longer you fast, the more risk there is for permanent damage to your digestive system and organs. As with any appointment, be sure to speak with your doctor about the reasons, symptoms, complications and alternatives associated with fasting.

Continue Learning about Fasting

What are the causes for fasting?
An individual's period of fasting may take place for several reasons. In some religions and spiritua...
What can I eat or drink when fasting for a health test?
If your doctor or health professional has requested that you fast before a test, you should plan on ...
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
Is intermittent fasting right for you?
What Are the Possible Benefits of Fasting?