Should I talk to my doctor about fasting?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Before you begin any fasting regimen for weight loss, you should speak with your doctor. Fasting is not usually a recommended treatment for weight loss, since it can create problems like decreased sodium, potassium, and calcium levels as well as hypoglycemia. Additionally, if you have diabetes, fasting may be very detrimental to your blood sugars. The longer you fast, the more risk there is for permanent damage to your digestive system and organs. As with any appointment, be sure to speak with your doctor about the reasons, symptoms, complications and alternatives associated with fasting.

Continue Learning about Fasting

What Are the Possible Benefits of Fasting?
What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
Why Should I Listen to My Body When Doing Intermittent Fasting (IF)?