Is fasting life-threatening?

If not monitored properly, fasting can be very serious and at times life-threatening. Usually fasting is not recommended as a weight loss tool, but some cases of morbid obesity demand it. For an individual with diabetes, fasting can be life-threatening because it can cause irregular blood sugars and low insulin levels. Additionally, sometimes fasting can become an obsession and lead to anorexia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa involves starvation for cosmetic or psychological reasons, and such extreme and unmonitored food deprivation can eventually lead to death.

Continue Learning about Fasting

What products can I consume while fasting?
Fasting requires that you abstain from food for a certain period of time. Water, tea, and broth ...
How can I make fasting easier for myself?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
One thing that helps is to schedule your fast while your kitchen is under construction so that any t...
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
Is intermittent fasting right for you?
What Are the Possible Benefits of Fasting?