How do other illnesses affect fasting?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

When you are receiving testing for other illnesses, your doctor may ask you to fast beforehand so that your stomach and digestive matter do not interfere with the test. Additionally, fasting can have an effect on some diseases and conditions, some negative and some positive. Fasting is very dangerous for someone with diabetes, as it can affect blood sugars and insulin levels. And if fasting leads to extreme food depravation, as in cases of anorexia nervosa, it can be dangerous to many of your body's systems. However, fasting has also shown to actually be helpful in the treatment of inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.

Continue Learning about Fasting

What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
Why Should I Listen to My Body When Doing Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
What Are the Possible Benefits of Fasting?