Does fasting help with weight loss?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Weight loss associated with fasting can occur through total fasting, but weight loss is most effective when people use a semi-starvation or partial fasting method rather than total fasting. This involves an individual fasting about once a week or once a month. When you fast from foods, your body consumes the glycogen you have stored in your muscles and then consumes your fat stores, causing you to lose weight.

Continue Learning about Fasting

Why doesn't fasting lead to weight loss?
Fasting can lead to weight loss, but the pounds you shed by going without food will likely retur...
How can I make fasting easier for myself?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
One thing that helps is to schedule your fast while your kitchen is under construction so that any t...
What are some health risks of detox diets and fasts?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
You may lose weight sipping lemon water with cayenne pepper for days, but radical fasting detoxes an...
How is metabolic therapy related to fasting?
Metabolic therapy refers to the belief that the body is filled with harmful toxins that can be clean...