What are the treatment options for fasciculation?

Fasciculation is a medical term for muscle twitching and treatment is based on the its cause.  The most common cause is benign fasciculation syndrome which is due to nerve hyperactivity and if uncomfortable can be treated with medications which calm the nerves such as gabapentin or pregabalin.  Fasciculations can result from pinched nerves in the neck or low back which can be treated with physical therapy, muscle relaxants and gabapentin or pregabalin.  The most worrisome cause for fasciculation is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gherig's disease) which is an incurable neurological disease.  Here too, gabapentin or pregabalin can be used for symptomatic relief.
In cases of benign (or harmless) fasciculation, there is no real treatment other than allowing it to stop on its own. If the twitching is caused by stress or exercise, it will go away as the body becomes more relaxed. It can also be caused by damage to the nerve leading to a muscle, which may be treatable depending on the cause of the damage. Treatment in more severe cases will depend on the underlying cause of the fasciculation. If the spasms are caused by Lou Gehrig's disease, various forms of muscular dystrophy, or spinal muscular atrophy, and are affecting quality of life, a doctor may suggest antiepileptic drugs; these have shown to be of some help. However, there is no known cure for this kind of benign fasciculation or the underlying disease causing it.

Continue Learning about Fasciculation (Muscle Twitch)

How is fasciculation diagnosed?
The cause of muscular fasciculation is diagnosed in several different ways depending on what the phy...
What causes fasciculation?
Fasciculation (slight tremor) can be caused by harmless conditions but may also indicate neurologica...
Should I talk to my doctor about my fasciculation symptoms?
You should speak to your doctor about your fasciculation symptoms if they continue for an extended p...
What increases my risk for fasciculation?
A deficiency in your diet, intense exercise, stress, or too much caffeine can increase your risk of ...