What is the link between fasciculation and spinal muscular atrophy?

Fasciculation in spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) occurs mainly in the tongue muscle. There are several different types of SMA, but each one can be distinguished by weakening or flaccid muscles which often cause throat complications such as difficulty breathing, talking, or holding up the head. A doctor can check for several factors to diagnose SMA, one of which is tongue muscle fasciculation. The nervous system progressively malfunctions and causes muscle atrophy, or weakness. As muscles weaken and it becomes harder for nerves to send signals to the muscles, making them twitch

Continue Learning about Fasciculation (Muscle Twitch)

What increases my risk for fasciculation?
A deficiency in your diet, intense exercise, stress, or too much caffeine can increase your risk of ...
How can I tell if my fasciculation is benign?
Benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) is the generalized term to describe muscle twitching when it doe...
What is the rate of incidence for fasciculation?
Muscle fasciculation can be quite common and often goes unnoticed. It can occur because of everyday ...
What causes fasciculation?
Fasciculation (slight tremor) can be caused by harmless conditions but may also indicate neurologica...