When getting remarried, how can I help my children accept my fiance?

Hal Runkel
Hal Runkel on behalf of ScreamFree
Marriage & Family Therapy
If you're getting remarried and you want your child to warm up to your fiancé, much of that will depend on the two of them. Any resistance on the part of your child shouldn't stop your spouse-to-be from assuming a new role in the family. Consistency and love will help your child develop trust, and trust is a conduit to respecting a new step-parent's authority.

Here are some ways to help the process along:
  • Don’t persist in your child's acceptance of your fiancé; it might backfire.
  • Back up a little from the triangle that exists to allow the relationship between your child and fiancé to develop naturally.
  • Embrace the role as the sole authority until that relationship is naturally developed. Remember, if you are too quick to throw your fiancé into that role, the more your child will resist him or her.
  • Stay cool throughout the process.

Continue Learning about Family Relationships

What is the role of the kitchen in family life?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
The kitchen is the heart and soul of the family and the house. It is where nourishment begins. The k...
What tips will help me unplug and engage with my family?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Each minute we are plugged in electronically means less engaging face-to-face time with our kids. Th...
Besides Social Networks, Are There Other Technologies That Can Improve Health Outcomes?
What Are Some of the Behavioral Issues You See in Families?