How can my child stay close to distant family members?

We live in an amazing time. Whether your extended family lives 2 miles away or 2,000 miles away, it’s easier than ever to stay in touch. Cell phones, computers, and fax machines make staying connected to family members especially convenient for your children.

Establishing bonds and feeling the unconditional love family members have to offer is especially important to your children’s developing identity and sense of self. It’s also another source of guidance and wisdom if your child is ever afraid of talking to you about something. You might be surprised to find out what your 5-year-old told your sister, but never mentioned to you!

You can help your children nurture those family bonds by having them write Grandma and Grandpa e-mails or send letters the old-fashioned way. You could even send artwork via fax machine! Distance is no object when family members join an Internet group such as that offered on the Yahoo Web pages. Form a family group and then enjoy posting and receiving notes and photos. You can also program the phone numbers of aunts, uncles, and cousins into the telephone so children can call at the touch of a button.

Not only will your children benefit from staying connected, your family members will love it too.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Family Relationships

When getting remarried, how can I help my children accept my fiance?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
If you're getting remarried and you want your child to warm up to your fiancé, much of that will dep...
How can I keep a multiple child family in order when out in public?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In this video from the Discovery Health show "Baby Madness," Diamond Harris, mother of 7, shares her...
Besides Social Networks, Are There Other Technologies That Can Improve Health Outcomes?
Siblings May Be the Key to Fighting Childhood Obesity