Why should I thank my ancestors?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Many cultures, especially the Asian and Native American traditions, are grounded in reverence for their ancestors. These cultures are keenly aware that it is only through the sacrifice, choices, and experiences of thousands of years of ancestors that we sit here today. We are the highest expression of our gene pool because we have survived. All of the dominant genes of our past are expressed in our presence, thanks to the ancestors who came before us.

Sadly, our fragmented nation has become disconnected from a deep awareness of the part our ancestors play in our culture. Being "self-made" in our culture is hallowed, but in fact none of us are truly "self-made," and would not be here without the lives of our ancestors. Take time to give thanks to grandmothers and grandfathers and those before them for giving life. You may want to make a special display of old family photographs and mementos to keep your ancestors close to your heart.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Family Health

Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
What are some good examples of family volunteer activities?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
If you are looking for ways to volunteer your time as a family, contact some of these sources: H...
How can I improve my family's health?
You can work to improve the health of your family in many ways, first by practicing healthy eati...
How Do We Promote Healthy Eating to All Socio-Economic Groups?