Why do families overeat?

For most of us, overeating (and making our children eat too much) results from complex emotions and disrupted biochemistry. Research reveals that moms who are anxious about their economic situation (these days, who isn't?) tend to overfeed their children. When parents do this, it disrupts healthy eating impulses and children never know whether they are hungry. This leads to chronic overeating.

You know what the children—and you—should eat to be healthy: real, home-cooked food that's lean, tasty and green, without saturated fats, trans fats, simple sugars, added syrups, or grains (except 100% whole grains). Anxiety makes it hard to keep up good eating habits. Persistent stress stimulates release of the hormone cortisol and that activates cravings for sugary, fatty foods. It also fuels depression. You overeat, and you feed your kids the same unhealthy foods you crave.

Continue Learning about Family Health

Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
How can I involve my kids in creating a family mission statement?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Invite the children to the dining table or the den or any place that feels comfortable to all of...
How can I keep my father's memory alive in my children?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
Your dad may be physically gone, but there are lots of ways to keep his memory alive. The best is to...
Can Genes Play A Role in Obesity?
Can Genes Play A Role in Obesity?