When should I ask for a family meeting?

A family meeting, also known as a care meeting, can be a great tool for you to use when you're feeling frustrated or unsure of next steps regarding the care of your loved one.  In my experience, alot of families aren't aware that all you have to do is ask to have a meeting.
Just today, I received a call from the daughter of an elderly woman who had surgery with a complication earlier this week and since then, has not been doing well. Her daughter, one of several children, expressed her frustration that "we just don't know what's going on."  Her mom is in a critical care unit and as such, the pace is quick and doctors are not often available when the family can be there.
I suggested that we request a family meeting so that representatives from all members of the clinical team can meet the family (those who want to be there) so we can review mom's case and talk about a game plan for her recovery.
Hospitals and long term care facilities are busy places but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't expect communication from the care team.  Please don't be afraid to speak up and if you feel like you need it, ask for a family meeting.

Continue Learning about Family Health

Don’t Let the News Hurt Your Health
Don’t Let the News Hurt Your Health
From train wrecks and earthquakes to wars and killer diseases, round-the-clock TV news delivers the world’s most harrowing horrors right to your livin...
What are some good examples of family volunteer activities?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
If you are looking for ways to volunteer your time as a family, contact some of these sources: H...
Why are close family relationships important for my child?
Very confident children come from strong, united families. Good communication within a family encour...
How Do We Promote Lifestyle Change to Prevent Obesity?