What is a family?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
A family can best be defined as a primary social group that shares the same gene pool, or shares common beliefs, or activities. We don't have to constrict ourselves to the traditional model of mom, dad, and kids. Family doesn't even necessarily have to be in the same location. By maintaining close relationships and regular contact, we can create a family. Family has an extended definition and the family image is constantly changing. Family is a dynamic idea, not a static model, that we are continuously redefining because we have to. While we may believe that this flexible idea of the family is new, in fact it is not. The founders of major religions displayed this in their lives. Christ, Buddha, Mohammad, Moses, all created families of disciples and followers.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Family Health

A Way to Die With Dignity and Peace
A Way to Die With Dignity and Peace
Most people want to be remembered long after they leave this earth, and particularly on their own terms. It’s this essential concept that inspired Har...
How can I create beneficial family rituals?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Think about this and ask often: “What would be a very simple ritual we could do?” One practical ri...
What is a family medicine doctor?
Family medicine doctors are trained and board certified (or eligible to be board certified) to treat...
How Do We Promote Lifestyle Change to Prevent Obesity?