What is a family?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
A family can best be defined as a primary social group that shares the same gene pool, or shares common beliefs, or activities. We don't have to constrict ourselves to the traditional model of mom, dad, and kids. Family doesn't even necessarily have to be in the same location. By maintaining close relationships and regular contact, we can create a family. Family has an extended definition and the family image is constantly changing. Family is a dynamic idea, not a static model, that we are continuously redefining because we have to. While we may believe that this flexible idea of the family is new, in fact it is not. The founders of major religions displayed this in their lives. Christ, Buddha, Mohammad, Moses, all created families of disciples and followers.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Family Health

Family Health 101: How to Promote a Healthier Environment
A funny thing happened when a bunch of first through third grade kids walked to school. Their parents lost weight!  The children were part of an obesi...
How can I reinforce our family mission statement?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
To reinforce your family mission statement: Write it down. Put your mission statement to work b...
How can I help my family cut down on TV?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some ways to reduce screen time as a family: Get aerobic. Try to make 20-30 minutes of y...
How Do We Promote Lifestyle Change to Prevent Obesity?