How can I help my child discover her heritage?

To help your children become interested in their heritage, you could try any of the follow strategies:

Interview a relative.

Your child (and maybe you!) will be surprised to learn the “ancient” history of Grandma’s childhood or Grandpa’s first job. Traveling through memory lane together will bond your child and your relatives.

Create a family tree.

This will involve talking with relatives and strengthening relationships, as well as uncovering new facts about the family. Who knew that great-great-great Grandma sailed to America from Ireland during the potato famine?

Break out the old photos.

Do more than just glance at photos of relatives. Compare pictures of someone as a child and their more recent photos. Ask children if they see any resemblance between a relative and themselves.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Family Health

Health Journal: Track Your Medical Information in This Printable Diary
Keeping an accurate personal health record is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. Whether you want to track your progress in managing a c...
What are the benefits of volunteering as a family?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Volunteering, as a family, can teach many positive lessons. When we contribute our time and effo...
How can I create a family mission statement?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
If you have a partner, I recommend beginning with him or her first, just the grown-ups for now. Or y...
Why You Should Eat Dinner as a Family
Why You Should Eat Dinner as a Family