What is family therapy?

Lisa Palmer
Marriage & Family Therapy

Society trains us to think very individualistically, but many of our behaviors, thoughts, actions are reactions to the complex interactions of our lives, families, relationships! Family therapy is a way of viewing problems and solutions by evaluating the bigger picture of how all the parts involved create a symptom. There are a wide range of techniques, theories, and interventions in the field of family therapy. These strategies are designed to alter the physics of relationships to bring about healthy stability and solutions. By learning how to effectively change and assimilate desirable mental or behavioral thought processes, we can achieve desired outcomes in our relationships. Contrary to popular belief, family therapy does not need to be done with whole family participation for results to occur within the family! The principles of systemic family therapy apply, "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". This means that when there is a change in one part of the system, such as within an individual, this will produce differences in the way others think and act too!

Continue Learning about Family Challenges & Problems

How can I reduce technological distractions during family time?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Don't let technology replace you! Watch for key times when you want your family to focus in on e...
How can my family be restructured after I come out of drug rehab?
Very often family members' roles need to be restructured when someone comes out of a drug rehab prog...
How do I plan for a service member’s homecoming?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Thinking ahead and planning for a service member’s homecoming is a good idea. The day of your servic...
How Can I Blend Different Families Into One Cohesive Unit?