How can we reduce selfishness in our family?

Michele Borba
Here are a few ways to reduce selfishness in your family:

Give part of your allowance to charity. Start a new rule: a portion of weekly allowance must be set aside for charity.  Even young kids can put away a portion of their allowance or gift money to give to a good cause. Some families require kids to divide their earned allowance into three categories: money to spend, save, and donate to charity.

Do a family sacrifice. Give everyone in the family a big cardboard box and ask them to fill it with give-always including a few things they really care like favorite articles of clothing, toys, books, DVDs or CDs.  Then have your kids help you deliver the boxes–which can be colorfully decorated by younger kids—to your favorite charity.

Play the “Gift Of Time Game.” Everyone in the family puts their name in a hat and then blindly pulls one out. For the next 21 days each family member commits to spending an age-appropriate amount of time devoted to the chosen name. For example: they can do their chore, help them complete some project, play a game or just hang out together. It’s the time spent that counts.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Family Challenges & Problems

How can our family cope with a chronically ill child at home?
Family coping strategies include:Keep the household routine as normal as possible.Remember that chil...
How do I adjust to having my spouse back home after military service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Homecoming from military service is a joyous occasion for most service members and their spouses or ...
How do I plan for a service member’s homecoming?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Thinking ahead and planning for a service member’s homecoming is a good idea. The day of your servic...
How Can I Blend Different Families Into One Cohesive Unit?