How can power dynamics within the family affect family members?

Erik Fisher
The underlying issue that drives all conflicts is power in the way we are taught to look at power. It's that simple. In our world we are often taught that there are different levels of power that people have, and we are either supposed to find where we fit in or advance our position by undermining, controlling, or manipulating other people's power.

This is no different in our families. After all, this is where we are first taught this. We often grow to feel that our parents manipulate our feelings of power through threats, punishments, and painful words, and it is from these behaviors that we develop a mistrust of our parents and then the world. The unfortunate result is that we believe that we have to be the ones to protect our own power, often at any cost. These challenges to our power are often played out in the conflicts in our families and extend.

Continue Learning about Family Challenges & Problems

What is family therapy?
Lisa PalmerLisa Palmer
Society trains us to think very individualistically, but many of our behaviors, thoughts, actions ar...
How can our family cope with a chronically ill child at home?
Family coping strategies include:Keep the household routine as normal as possible.Remember that chil...
How do I deal with tension in my marriage after return from deployment?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Homecoming from military service is a joyous occasion for most service members and their spouses or ...
How Can I Blend Different Families Into One Cohesive Unit?