How can I monitor my family's plugged-in habits?

Michele Borba
Over the next few days do an informal reality check of your family. Note the extent each family member is currently "plugged in" and to which type of technology (computer, video games, ipod, television). Add up those minutes. Don't let that plugged in time rob your family time.

Some families set a post-it on each technology outlet to serve as an informal time card to jot the time the device was turned on and off.

Identify those ideal times during the day such as the dinner hour, for face-to-face interactions. Is technology hindering those moments? For instance: Are kids watching TV instead of tuning in to dad? Are they texting instead of listening to the bedtime story?

Also check your family's cell phones, texts and tweet logs. Add up the minutes. How much time is your family plugged in?

Do you need to reduce time or certain digital devices? If so, determine which ones and what time.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Family Challenges & Problems

How can I reduce technological distractions during family time?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Don't let technology replace you! Watch for key times when you want your family to focus in on e...
What is family therapy?
Lisa PalmerLisa Palmer
Society trains us to think very individualistically, but many of our behaviors, thoughts, actions ar...
How do I adjust to having my spouse back home after military service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Homecoming from military service is a joyous occasion for most service members and their spouses or ...
How Can I Blend Different Families Into One Cohesive Unit?