What should I do if my CA-125 level increases?

Jean A. Hurteau, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A rising CA-125 can be the first sign of relapse in patients with ovarian cancer.  A European study however, showed that it is acceptable for patients with a rising CA 125, as the only sign of recurrence, to hold off on treatment. Their study showed that early treatment of relapse ovarian cancer did not translate in a better outcome. In fact, patients who underwent early treatment had a worse quality of life. Thus, it is okay to take your time, take a step back, think about things, and think about where you and your doctor are going with your treatment.

Continue Learning about Fallopian Tube Cancer

Are there different types of fallopian tube cancer?
There are a few different types of fallopian tube cancer. These are defined by the histology, or the...
What are the stages of fallopian cancer?
Stage 0 fallopian cancer, referred to as carcinoma in situ, which means that the tumor has not sprea...
What is fallopian tube cancer?
n a woman, the fallopian tubes are a pair of thin cylinders that allow for the travel of the ova, or...
What is the difference between ovarian and fallopian tube cancers?
Jean A. Hurteau, MDJean A. Hurteau, MD
The current thinking is that ovarian and fallopian tube cancers may be two different cancers bio...