What is the difference between ovarian and fallopian tube cancers?

Jean A. Hurteau, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The current thinking is that ovarian and fallopian tube cancers may be two different cancers biologically. Women with ovarian cancer are thought to have low-grade cancers. Women with fallopian tube cancers are thought to have a high-grade disease.

It is sometimes difficult to differentiate between fallopian tube and ovarian cancer because the fallopian tube will shed its cells onto the ovary and cause a mass that incorporates both.  Based on data from the hereditary ovarian cancer studies, we are learning more about fallopian tube cancers.

Continue Learning about Fallopian Tube Cancer

What should I do if my CA-125 level increases?
Jean A. Hurteau, MDJean A. Hurteau, MD
A rising CA-125 can be the first sign of relapse in patients with ovarian cancer.  A European st...
Is fallopian tube cancer a common gynecological cancer?
Ovarian cancer, fallopian tube cancer, uterine cancer, and cervical cancer are all gynecological can...
What is the rate of incidence of fallopian tube cancer?
Fallopian tube cancer is the least common of gynecological cancers, which include cervical cancer, u...
What are the stages of fallopian cancer?
Stage 0 fallopian cancer, referred to as carcinoma in situ, which means that the tumor has not sprea...