What is the difference between ovarian and fallopian tube cancers?

Jean A. Hurteau, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The current thinking is that ovarian and fallopian tube cancers may be two different cancers biologically. Women with ovarian cancer are thought to have low-grade cancers. Women with fallopian tube cancers are thought to have a high-grade disease.

It is sometimes difficult to differentiate between fallopian tube and ovarian cancer because the fallopian tube will shed its cells onto the ovary and cause a mass that incorporates both.  Based on data from the hereditary ovarian cancer studies, we are learning more about fallopian tube cancers.

Continue Learning about Fallopian Tube Cancer

What should I do if my CA-125 level increases?
Jean A. Hurteau, MDJean A. Hurteau, MD
A rising CA-125 can be the first sign of relapse in patients with ovarian cancer.  A European st...
Is fallopian tube cancer a common gynecological cancer?
Ovarian cancer, fallopian tube cancer, uterine cancer, and cervical cancer are all gynecological can...
Are there different types of fallopian tube cancer?
There are a few different types of fallopian tube cancer. These are defined by the histology, or the...
What is fallopian tube cancer?
n a woman, the fallopian tubes are a pair of thin cylinders that allow for the travel of the ova, or...