How does radiation therapy work in fallopian tube cancer treatment?

Fallopian tube cancer is usually treated with surgery and chemotherapy, although radiation therapy may be used as well. Unlike chemotherapy, which is a given intravenously and can affect the whole body, radiation therapy can be targeted to a specific location. Radiation works by damaging the tumor cell DNA. Tumor cells generally grow and divide at a faster rate than normal cells, so they are more susceptible to DNA damage than are normal cells. Thus, while this form of treatment does damage normal cells, too, it is more toxic to cancer cells.

Continue Learning about Fallopian Tube Cancer

Is fallopian tube cancer serious?
Fallopian tube cancer is a serious illness, although the survival rate and success of treatment depe...
What should I do if my CA-125 level increases?
Jean A. Hurteau, MDJean A. Hurteau, MD
A rising CA-125 can be the first sign of relapse in patients with ovarian cancer.  A European st...
Are there different types of fallopian tube cancer?
There are a few different types of fallopian tube cancer. These are defined by the histology, or the...
What is the rate of incidence of fallopian tube cancer?
Fallopian tube cancer is the least common of gynecological cancers, which include cervical cancer, u...