At what age is it appropriate to receive a facelift?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The age to receive a face lift depends on the amount of skin laxity, jowls, and fine wrinkles each particular individual displays. Normally, rhytidectomies are performed on patients starting in the early 50s. However, minimally invasive facial rejuvenation procedures including dermal fillers and Botox may extend the years for facelifts into the 60s. Meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to have an appropriate evaluation and consultation when determining candidacy for any plastic surgical procedure.

Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgery
Those patients who seek out facial rejuvenation are not necessarily a certain age, but they do have many of the same complaints about their appearance. Maybe the wrinkles around your eyes bother you, or maybe you dislike the bags starting to form beneath them. Maybe deepening nasolabial folds and descending jowls contribute to an aged appearance to your lower face. These changes can occur over a wide range of ages, and as we have seen, a few lucky individuals are advanced in years before they start to develop.

For the rest of us though, the facial changes with aging finally become pronounced enough to warrant a facelift somewhere in our 40's to 60's. However, in some patients with genetic predispositions to developing loose skin and premature aging, facelifts are indicated in their twenties and thirties! With proper skin care and avoidance of factors like cigarette smoke and excess sun exposure, you can prolong the age of onset for these facial chages, and delay necessity of a facelift to address them.

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

What are my options if I am unhappy with my facelift results?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
It is vital that you allow enough healing time after the surgery for swelling and edema to resolve b...
How long does facelift surgery take?
Facelift surgery times depends on the extent of the procedure. Times can vary from 1 hour to up to 7...
What Are the Risks Involved With a Facelift?
Who is a good candidate for a mid-facelift?