What is meant by the term "short-scar" facelift?

Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgery
The short-scar technique was popularized by Daniel Baker MD, in New York City. This involves a modification of the traditional inverted-U facelift incision to shorten the scar, and at least in theory, facilitate postoperative recovery. The extension into the hair-bearing skin of the scalp behind the ear is eliminated. This may make the scar less perceptible in certain patients as well. However, it is difficult to address the skin of the neck in patients with significant soft-tissue excess in this area. Because of difficulty in redraping this skin, a more traditional facelift approach may be more appropriate in patients with excess fat and skin in their anterior neck.

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

Can I have a 'neck lift' independent of a facelift?
Sarmela Sunder, MDSarmela Sunder, MD
It is possible to perform a neck lift without a facelift at the same time. Variations of neck lifts ...
How can I get Jowl (excess fat) removed?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Patients will prominent jowls will be best suited for a rhytidectomy or facelift procedure. Liposuct...
How Effective Are Noninvasive Face-Lifts?
What Are the Risks Involved With a Facelift?