What is a neck lift?

Stephen Handisides
Health Education
For many people, the neck is one of the most ageing areas, so a neck-lift can be an effective cosmetic surgery procedure to tackle this problem area. The natural ageing process or dramatic weight loss can result in loose, sagging skin or a build up of fat around the neck area, while sun damage often leads to wrinkles and age spots. A neck-lift can remove sagging skin in the neck area and under the jawline, while also tightening the muscles to create a more youthful appearance.

Liposuction may also be required to remove a double chin. Face with Neck-Lift procedure are often performed at the same time, so the chances are that you may need both treatments to achieve the desired result. While the neck is notoriously a difficult area for aesthetic practitioners to treat effectively, a neck lift usually delivers dramatic and lasting results.

Am I a Candidate? For many people, the neck is the first area to show age. Suitable candidates for a neck lift surgery procedure are those who have loose, sagging skin around the neck area, fatty deposits underneath the chin or those who wish to improve the quality of skin that may be wrinkled or discolored due to age and sun damage.

During Surgery -- A neck-lift surgery procedure involves the skillful and careful removal of excess facial skin from the neck area, under general anesthetic. The cosmetic surgeon may also tighten the underlying muscles and reposition the facial tissue. The scars will be hidden around your ears or in your hairline and will fade over time. The procedure, which normally takes 2 to 3 hours, usually requires an overnight stay in hospital.

Depending on the length of the operation, you may be allowed go home after a few hours, or remain in hospital for a couple of days. Most patients require 10 to 14 days of recovery time after the surgery.

The benefits of a neck lift procedure are a significant improvement in the appearance of jowls and sagging skin in the chin and neck area.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
A neck lift is a surgical procedure by which skin is tightened under the chin area. At the same time, the platysmal band muscles may be plicated or tightened back to the midline to improve the contour of the neck. Neck lift incisions are often approached through a submental incision combined with skin removed from in front of the ear and extended to behind the auricle and into the posterior hairline.

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

Who is a good candidate for a mid-facelift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The best candidates for the mid-facelift are patients with descent of the cheek regions, prominent n...
How long would I have to be off work if I decide to go for facelift?
Sarmela Sunder, MDSarmela Sunder, MD
The amount of time you need for recovery depends on the extent of the face lift. In general, most pe...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering a Facelift?
Who is a good candidate for facelift surgery?