What should I expect during face-lift surgery?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Preparation for a face-lift is no different from that for any other surgical procedure. If your skin is very thin, your surgeon may try and plump it up with several months of Retin-A and glycolic acid prior to surgery.

On the day of the surgery, the surgeon will draw on your face with you in a sitting position. Once in the operating room, general anesthesia or intravenous sedation with local anesthesia will be administered, depending on the preference of the surgeon and the skills of the anesthesiologist. Some plastic surgeons prefer sedation, in that there is a lower chance of nausea. Nausea and vomiting are big problems after a face-lift and increase the chance of bleeding.

A solution of local anesthetic and epinephrine, to stop bleeding, is injected into the face. Incisions are made and the tissues are lifted, trimmed of excess skin, and sutured into place. Drains may be placed, in the hope of decreasing fluid collection after surgery. A bulky dressing is then applied, protecting the face and placing gentle pressure to decrease the collection of blood and serum.

The procedure takes between two and four hours. You'll spend a few hours in the recovery room before you are discharged to your room or home.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

What can I expect in terms of recovery time from a neck lift?
Sarmela Sunder, MDSarmela Sunder, MD
While it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to recover from a neck lift, most people find that they ar...
How effective is the lunchtime facelift?
Salvatore Pacella, MDSalvatore Pacella, MD
Technically called the thread lift, the “lunchtime facelift” uses threads (sutures) to lift differen...
What Are the Risks Involved With a Facelift?
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?