Will prior sun damage affect my facelift?

Sarmela Sunder, MD
Facial Plastic Surgery (ENT)
Prior sun exposure and sun damage affects the quality of skin. Because of this, sun-damaged skin is not as supple or healthy as skin that has not experienced the ravages of the sun. If you have had prior sun damage, it will affect the facelift results in that you may realize that the quality of the result and the longevity of the lift are not as great as if you had not had significant sun damage in the past. That does not mean that patients with prior history of excessive sun exposure don't get great results though!

While past sun damage is important, it is even more important to protect your skin from the sun following a facelift. I always encourage my patients to wear sun block and wear a wide brim hat, as much as possible, when they are out in the sun. In addition, there are various skin care products and laser technologies that are available to help restore skin to a healthier state and reverse some of the effects of sun damage.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Sun damage can be deliterious to the results of a facelift (rhytidectomy). Ultraviolet damage can cause increased fine wrinkles that generally are not amenable to facelifting. CO2 Laser resurfacing and skin peels (Retin-A, phenol) are most successful in eradicating these fine lines. Avoiding ultraviolet light for prolonged periods of time will help combat the aging process.

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

How long does a neck lift last?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
In general a well performed neck lift will last ten to fifteen years. An extensive neck lift involve...
What are the long term effects of a facelift?
The long term effects of a facelift include reduction of the jowls, neck skin laxity, and improvemen...
What is a mid-facelift?
What is a mid-facelift?
What Should I Know If I'm Considering a Facelift?