How can I avoid turning over in my sleep after face-lift surgery?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
It is critically important to keep your head elevated above the level of your heart for three weeks following face-lift surgery. If you bend to pick up something only once, or turn over onto your face in your sleep, you could have bleeding. The following are Dr. Perry's tips for not turning over when sleeping after face-lift surgery:
  • Use a U-shaped travel pillow or a pillow with arms -- a reminder not to turn.
  • Sleep in a reclining chair -- it makes it hard for you to turn over.
  • Try self-hypnosis: five minutes in a dark, quiet room, intensely focused on not turning over.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

What is meant by the term "short-scar" facelift?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
The short-scar technique was popularized by Daniel Baker MD, in New York City. This involves a modif...
If I go for face lift, is it necessary for me to stay in the hospital?
Sarmela Sunder, MDSarmela Sunder, MD
No, it is generally not required that you stay in the hospital following a facelift. Depending on th...
What Are the Different Facelift Techniques?
What Should I Know If I'm Considering a Facelift?