Who is a good candidate for facelift surgery?

People who take care of their skin and are in good overall health typically are the best candidates for facelift surgery, but those who are overweight may have complications. In this video, cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon Dr. Robert Grant explains why.

Stephen Handisides
Health Education
Face-lifts are popular with both men and women and can be used to erase the signs of ageing such as wrinkles and saggy skin. Most people who have the surgery are over 40, although the surgery is performed on younger people if they are suitable.

Although the procedure is relatively simple, not everyone is suitable for a face-lift. The ideal candidate for this type of surgery will have good skin elasticity, a strong bone structure and loose skin on their face or neck. Because face-lifts stretch the facial skin to remove wrinkles having supple, flexible skin will allow you to heal better. A good bone structure will also help you achieve a better result because the underlying structure provides support to the skin. If you have ‘weak’ facial features you may also want to consider having dermal fillers or facial implants to improve your underlying structure. If you have loose skin on your face and neck then this can be trimmed and tightened during the procedure.

You may not be suitable for this procedure if you suffer from certain medical conditions. Heavy smokers are also not ideal candidates for any type of surgery as they are at more risk when undergoing general anesthetic. If you do smoke, you’ll be asked to stop at least two months before the procedure, as smoking can also delay the healing process.

Having a thorough consultation with a qualified face-lift surgeon is the only way to discover if the procedure is suitable for you.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Good facelift candidates are healthy men and women with skin laxity from the jowls, neck and and prominent facial folds. Patients should be cleared by the internist with laboratories and ekg as necessary prior to the surgery. Facelifts help to reduce skin laxity of the middle and lower third of the face. The jowls, nasolabial folds, and submental skin laxity can be addressed. 

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

At what age is it appropriate to receive a facelift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The age to receive a face lift depends on the amount of skin laxity, jowls, and fine wrinkles each p...
Will insurance cover any part of facelift costs?
Insurance will Not generally cover any part of a face-lift. A rhytidectomy is considered elective or...
What is a mid-facelift?
What is a mid-facelift?
What Should I Know If I'm Considering a Facelift?