What are my options if I am unhappy with my facelift results?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

It is vital that you allow enough healing time after the surgery for swelling and edema to resolve before final judgment. Once the swelling and bruising resolves, it is vital that you discuss your concerns rationally with the plastic surgeon. Makes note prior to the post-operative visit of all concerns. Remember, it may take up to a year to see the final results of eyelid and facelift surgery. If you believe that there is a problem that hasn't been reasonably answered by your doctor, seek a second, if not third opinion but other Board-Certified Plastic surgeons. 

Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgery
The first step in dealing with any unfavorable result in plastic surgery should be to consult with your surgeon. You should attempt to find out if this is truly a problem, or if this is temporary and will resolve over time. Problems with bruising, swelling, and discomfort typically resolve, whereas incomplete removal of fat or skin, inappropriately located scars, pronounced asymmetries and the like, will not. If you are unhappy with certain aspects of the scar, such as texture, width, or color, it is best to wait until the scar matures, in 9-12 months, before having it revised. Scars tend to soften and flatten over time, and may no longer be an issue of concern. As always, if you are truly unhappy, do not hesitate to seek out a second opinion. However, it is best to realize that your surgeon knows your particular procedure best, and has a vested interest in helping you achieve the best possible result. You should also help one another stay patient and positive about your result. Procedures to revise a facelift are several: techniques such as chemo-denervation with Botox, or correcting contour irregularities with fat or temporary fillers, or small skin or scar revisions.

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

What are the risks of neck lift surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The risks from a neck lift surgery are similar to those of other surgeries. Bleeding or hematoma is ...
How effective are noninvasive face-lifts?
Anthony S. Youn, MDAnthony S. Youn, MD
Many people wonder if noninvasive facelifts are worth the cost. In this video, plastic surgeon A...
What Are the Different Facelift Techniques?
Who is a good candidate for a mid-facelift?