What should I know if I'm considering a facelift?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Choose a board certified plastic surgeon to consult with for your consultation when considering a facelift procedure. During your visit, the surgeon will evaluate your overall general health, skin quality, and aging process! Have your list of questions including scarring, risks and complications, and evaluate hundreds of before and after photographs of previous facelift patients.  
Although the facelift may be declining in popularity, don't count it down yet. More than 138,000 people couldn't be wrong, or could they? Those docs who were proficient on their sewing machines lift and shape aging faces through smaller and smaller incisions. Most plastic surgeons don't just pull on the skin -- they lift the jowls in a separate layer, suck fat, and tie those two turkey-gobbler bands together. There are a lot of overpulled cheeks, so choose your artist/surgeon wisely to make sure you don't wind up looking like you're driving through a wind tunnel. I recommend putting off that lift until there are no other options. New techniques of Botoxing, peeling, filling, and less invasive lifting techniques can keep your face looking younger longer.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...
Anthony S. Youn, MD
Plastic Surgery

Like any surgery, a facelift leaves scars. In this video, plastic surgeon Anthony Youn, MD, discusses that issue and other points for prospective patients to consider.

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

Are face-lifts as successful for men as for women?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In all modern societies men do not undergo as much cosmetic surgery as women. Among the very pra...
Are there a variety of facelift techniques?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
There are a wide range of facelift techniques. The simplest is a liquid facelift with dermal fillers...
Who is a good candidate for facelift surgery?
What Should I Know If I'm Considering a Facelift?