How do the eyes work together?

With normal vision, both eyes aim at the same spot. The brain then combines the two pictures into a single three-dimensional image. This three-dimensional image gives us depth perception.

When one eye is out of alignment, two different pictures are sent to the brain. In a young child, the brain learns to ignore the image of the misaligned eye and sees only the image from the straight or betterseeing eye. The child then loses depth perception.

Adults who develop strabismus often have double vision because their brains have already learned to receive images from both eyes and cannot ignore the image from the turned eye. A child generally does not see double.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Salad Bar: A Sight for Healthy Eyes
Salad Bar: A Sight for Healthy Eyes
Did you know that the eye has its own special defense system? It's true. But you've got to feed it this: salad. Research suggests that people age 65 ...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?