How do the eyes work together?

With normal vision, both eyes aim at the same spot. The brain then combines the two pictures into a single three-dimensional image. This three-dimensional image gives us depth perception.

When one eye is out of alignment, two different pictures are sent to the brain. In a young child, the brain learns to ignore the image of the misaligned eye and sees only the image from the straight or betterseeing eye. The child then loses depth perception.

Adults who develop strabismus often have double vision because their brains have already learned to receive images from both eyes and cannot ignore the image from the turned eye. A child generally does not see double.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision
7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision7 Ways to Live Better With Low Vision
Make your day-to-day living easier with these home and lifestyle tips. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 14 mi...
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?
Can Robots Improve Eye Surgery?
Why Do I Get Pink Eye a Lot?
Why Do I Get Pink Eye a Lot?
Do genetics Play a Role in Eye Diseases Like Glaucoma?