Why are corneal transplants increasingly common?

Our corneas are the only part of the body that are, when healthy, crystal clear. On the inside of the cornea there is a single layer of cells -- endothelial cells -- that are unique in that they don’t reproduce. Over time, and following trauma, infections, surgery or certain inherited disorders these cells can fail. When endothelial cells are damaged, the cornea is no longer clear and vision is compromised.

As the population ages, the need for corneal transplants is becoming more common, and thanks to advances in technology, the transplant procedure has become far less traumatic.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
When it comes to nourishing your vision, a good diet trumps dietary supplements–for most of us.
What Recent Eye Health Developments Have Surprised You the Most?