When should I call my doctor if I have retinal detachment?

Your retina is a thin layer of tissue that sends messages to your brain, and it is crtical for good vision. If it tears or moves out of place, the condition is called a detached retina or retinal detachment. This is a medical emergency that needs treatment right away to save your vision. Call your doctor if you have any of these warning signs:
  • Seeing floaters (small spots or spider webs that float across your line of sight)
  • Seeing flashes of light
  • Feeling as if a curtain has been pulled in front of your eye

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Vision Loss and Depression: What's the Connection?
Vision loss can make it harder—even impossible—to do certain activities you enjoy or to perform routine tasks, such as driving. Fears of falling or ha...
What Eye Disease Treatment Innovations Excite You?
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?
Can Eyes Be Transplanted?
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?