What is the treatment for recurrent corneal erosion?

Recurrent corneal erosion is a miserable condition that is usually initiated by a tangential injury to the cornea such as a fingernail or paper cut, but it can just be spontaneous and associated with other minor abnormalities of the cornea. It is best treated by a persistent and understanding eye doctor who tries the simple treatment first.

Muro 128 for three or even six months is the easiest and safest mechanism for treatment. It is not always successful, however, and subsequent treatment may include stromal puncture and a contact lens. Stromal puncture is generally a very safe procedure, but its name makes it sound far worse and more painful than it really is. Nevertheless, if anterior stromal puncture is required and performed, it is almost always accompanied by a bandage contact lens. That lens will need to be left in place for as long as three months and perhaps even replaced with another at that time. Although contact lenses are generally safe, there is some risk of infection beneath the lens, so a persistent and knowledgeable eye doctor is essential to assist you with this problem.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Eyes: A Window into Health
Eyes: A Window into Health
You take in the world with your eyes—from paint colors to the perfect autumn sky—but did you know your eyes also allow for a unique look inside your b...
Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
What Eye Disease Treatment Innovations Excite You?
Advances in Cataract Surgery and the Future of Eye Care