What is the red spot on my eye?

A red spot on the white of the eye is often a benign condition resulting from a broken blood vessel, called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This can happen for no reason or can be a result of straining such as a cough or lifting weights.

It is usually pain-free; however, mild stinging and tenderness are possible but uncommon. If yours hurts a lot, the red spot may be a focal area of inflammation in the eye called episcleritis or scleritis.

If your vision is not affected, I think it is safe to wait a day or two to see if the red spot starts to resolve. It may take longer to completely resolve, though. If it gets worse, enlarges, or becomes clearly associated with pain or decreased vision then a consult with an Eye M.D. is necessary.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Making Contact with Decorative Contacts
Making Contact with Decorative Contacts
When Lady Gaga pops in a pair of oversized, Anime-inspired contact lenses or Jennifer Lopez subtly turns her hazel eyes a deep brown, you can bet it’s...
What is an epiretinal membrane on the eye?
Dr. Abdhish R. Bhavsar, MDDr. Abdhish R. Bhavsar, MD
Epiretinal membranes typically progress over years to months and can cause decreased vision and part...
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
Keep your eyes healthy and watch out for these common vision problems.
What Is Diabetic Eye Disease?
What Is Diabetic Eye Disease?