What does it mean if my eyes are frequently red and inflamed?

Inflamed eyes could be a sign of arthritis -- the painful inflammation and stiffening of joints. The same cellular process that causes inflammation in your joints can cause inflammation in your eyes, turning them red.

Studies have shown that the sooner you treat arthritis, the better the long-term results, so visit your doctor at the first sign of trouble.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Top Eye-Health Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Whether you've scheduled a routine eye exam or have a special appointment with an eye doctor because of new symptoms, you'll get more out of your visi...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
What Eye Disease Treatment Innovations Excite You?