What does it mean if my eyes blink and shut uncontrollably?

This sounds like a condition called essential blepharospasm, in which patients have uncontrollable blinking, sometimes so severe that it is incapacitating. The cause is often unknown, but treatments exist.

First, have a thorough eye examination by a comprehensive ophthalmologist to rule out other causes such as keratitis or dry eyes. If none is found, ask for a referral to a neuroophthalmologist who does Botox treatments (not all do). Under some circumstances, an MRI is indicated. Once underlying neurologic disease is ruled out, then treatment can begin. Today, Botox injections to weaken the muscle contractions are the most effective treatment available. They do need to be repeated every few months. Unlike cosmetic Botox injections, these should be covered by insurance. Some oculoplastics specialists, neurologists, and comprehensive ophthalmologists offer these injections as well.

Whoever you approach to do the injections, if they are indicated, inquire about their experience with your condition. Surgical options are also available, but should be withheld for Botox failures. There are many Web sites and support groups available to help individuals understand and cope with blepharospasm.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
When Little Red Riding Hood exclaimed, “My Grandma, what big eyes you have,” the Big Bad Wolf replied, “The better to see you with my dear.” “But, Gra...
What is an epiretinal membrane on the eye?
Dr. Abdhish R. Bhavsar, MDDr. Abdhish R. Bhavsar, MD
Epiretinal membranes typically progress over years to months and can cause decreased vision and part...
6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them
6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them6 Contact Lens Mistakes You’re Probably Making—And How to Fix Them
Poor contact lens hygiene can lead to a serious eye infection called keratitis.
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?