What is a macular hole in the eye?

A macular hole is a defect or "hole" in the center of the retina which is called the macula. This usually causes blurred central vision and distortion, but the peripheral vision remains normal. If left untreated most people with a macular hole will lose vision to the 20/200 to 20/400 level in the affected eye. A macular hole can occur in both eyes in about 10% of people with a macular hole in one eye. The treatment for a macular hole is an operation called vitrectomy with the placement of a gas bubble into the eye. This surgery fixes the macular hole in over 90% of people and results in reading vision in about 50% of people. The longer the macular hole has been present the worse the visual prognosis. Your surgeon will discuss the potential risks of the surgery.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Outdoor Activities May Up Your Risk for Vision Problems
From exercising outside for your physical health to getting a breath of fresh air for your mental health, you’ve heard all the benefits of the outdoor...
Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore7 Vision Problems You Shouldn't Ignore
Keep your eyes healthy and watch out for these common vision problems. So much of what we experience, learn and enjoy in life we owe to the gift of si...
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?