What is the cornea?

No doubt about it, your eye is full of fragile stuff. Thank goodness for your cornea, that tough, transparent, dome-shaped cover on the outside of the colored part of your eye. It defends against dust, debris, and even bacteria. The curved shape of the cornea also bends light as it enters your eye, helping to focus images on the retina.

The cornea is the clear front window of the eye. It covers the iris (colored portion of the eye) and the round pupil, much like a watch crystal covers the face of a watch. The cornea is composed of five layers. The outermost layer is called the epithelium.

The cornea is the eye's outermost layer. It is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Picture of corneal

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

You Can Prevent Eye Disease
You Can Prevent Eye Disease
Keep Your Eyes on the Prize, a civil rights anthem from the 1950s recorded by everyone from Pete Seeger to Bruce Springsteen, calls for folks to pay a...
How can I treat my watery eyes?
Dr. Laura C. Fine, MDDr. Laura C. Fine, MD
Treatment for watery eyes depends on the cause. If dry eye syndrome (decline in tear production) is ...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?