What is macular pucker?

The macula normally lies flat against the back of the eye, like film lining the back of a camera. When wrinkles, creases, or bulges form on the macula, this is known as macula pucker. Symptoms of macular pucker include blurred central vision, distorted or “wavy” vision, difficulty reading or performing tasks that require detail, gray or cloudy areas in your central vision, or a central blind spot. Symptoms can range from mild to severe. As you age, the vitreous (a clear gel-like substance that fills the middle of your eye) begins to shrink and pull away from the retina. As the vitreous pulls away, scar tissue may develop on the macula.

For mild symptoms of macular pucker, no treatment may be necessary. Sometimes just changing your eyeglass prescription or wearing bifocals can improve your vision. For more severe symptoms, a surgery called vitrectomy is recommended. An ophthalmologist uses tiny instruments to remove the wrinkled tissue on your macula. After the tissue is gone, the macula flattens, and vision slowly improves. You should consider this surgery if your vision is blurred or interfering with daily activities.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
What are the symptoms of an eye infection caused by contact lenses?
Symptoms of an eye infection caused by contact lenses include the following: eyes are irritated o...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
Explain Cataracts
Explain Cataracts