What causes irritation and mucous discharge when wearing contacts?

Redness, itching, mucous discharge, and foreign body sensation in one or both eyes can indicate that a contact lens does not properly fit. You should not persist with a contact lens that causes these symptoms. Have your fit reevaluated and try different types of lense.  In many cases, modern oxygen-permeable rigid ("hard") contact lenses are kinder to one's eyes than soft contact lenses because they are small and do not irritate the transparent membrane that covers the white part of your eye. 

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Eye Exam Information: What to Expect
Eye Exam Information: What to Expect
Of all your senses—sight, smell, touch, taste, and hearing—eyesight is arguably your most important, helping you not only appreciate a beautiful sunse...
How can I protect my eyes?
The best option is to keep your eyes as healthy as possible throughout your lifetime. Here are nine ...
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
When it comes to nourishing your vision, a good diet trumps dietary supplements–for most of us.
What Advantages Do New Surgeons Have in Terms of Training?