What increases my risk for keratitis?

A few factors can increase your risk for keratitis. If you wear contact lenses, being careless about their cleanliness or using homemade cleansers can put you at risk. Wearing soft contact lenses while you sleep also increases your risk. If you've suffered from herpes simplex in the past, it's possible that this virus will attack your eyes and cause keratitis, so having a history of that condition is a risk factor. Having especially dry eyes will also increase your chances of developing keratitis, since it makes your eyes susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Worst Case Scenario: I Slept in My Contact Lenses
It’s hard enough to brush your teeth, floss and wash your face before plopping under the covers. But if you’re one of the 41 million people in the US ...
What are some basic facts about children's eye health?
Alison E. Smith, MDAlison E. Smith, MD
In this video, topics of adolescent eye health are discussed, including lazy eye, cataracts, and sit...
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
When it comes to nourishing your vision, a good diet trumps dietary supplements–for most of us.
Can Blindness Be Prevented?
Can Blindness Be Prevented?