What happens during posterior capsulotomy?

A special laser is targeted at the back of the capsule and makes a small opening.
The technique is painless and only takes a few minutes. It is performed on an outpatient basis, often in your ophthalmologist’s office. Anesthesia, if necessary, is applied using eyedrops.
You should notice improved vision quickly, if there are no other problems with your eye. Unless your doctor advises otherwise, normal activities can usually be resumed immediately.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

How to Care for Dry Eyes
How to Care for Dry Eyes
Let's face it—dry eyes don't feel good. Sometimes they can feel scratchy or gritty, like something's caught in your eye. Other times you may feel a st...
What should I do if an object has penetrated my eye?
If an object has penetrated your eye, seek medical attention promptly. A penetrating injury to the e...
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
When it comes to nourishing your vision, a good diet trumps dietary supplements–for most of us.
What Is Diabetic Eye Disease?
What Is Diabetic Eye Disease?